Blood Orange & Almond Upside Down Cake Recipe By Monika Coghlan
Blood Orange & Almond Upside Down Cake Recipe By Monika Coghlan. Can not think of a better combination of flavours in a Mediterranean or Italian style cake than almond and blood orange together. Always beautifully moist. so incredibly aromatic and light.
– 4 eggs
– 150g self-raising flour
– 120g ground almonds
– 50g flaked almonds
– 220g golden caster sugar
– Juice and zest of 1 blood orange
– 150g butter, melted
– 1tsp vanilla extract
Blood orange topping
– 200ml water
– 2 blood oranges, thinly sliced
– 3 tbsp honey
– 1 cinnamon stick
– 5 cloves
– 3 cardamom pods, cracked open
– 1 star anise
To make the topping
1. Place the water, honey, orange slices and spices in a medium saucepan.
2. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until the sugar has dissolved and the orange slices are soft. Set aside.
3. Using a hand mixer, whisk the eggs, sugar and vanilla extract for 5 minutes until pale in colour.
4. Add the flour, ground & flaked almonds, melted butter, and orange juice and zest. Fold through. Do not overmix.
5. Place the orange slices in a round cake tin lined with parchment paper making sure the whole surface is covered with oranges.
6. Transfer the batter mixture onto the orange slices.
7. Bake in a preheated oven for 45 minutes at 180C until golden brown and a skewer comes out clean.
8. Leave to cool. Turn upside down and serve.
‘People eat with their eyes ﬁrst’ says Monika Coghlan- a Recipe Developer, Food Stylist & Photographer based in Cork. ‘Whether it’s consciously or subconsciously, we use all our senses to make a food selection, with sight being the most signiﬁcant. The more visually appealing a dish is, the more appetising it gets. That’s why food presentation is so important’ says Monika. Monika loves experimenting with food and discovering new ﬂavours. Her recipes are simple and based on fresh accessible ingredients and seasonal produce. She’s convinced cooking from scratch doesn’t have to be complicated or time consuming. Monika strongly supports local Irish food businesses and has established relationships with many of them. Through her images, Monika combines her love for food with her passion for photography. Her photos are authentic and show food’s natural beauty.
For more info, updates on the upcoming events, seasonal recipes and mouthwatering pictures of food.