This delicious seafood dish looks and tastes so impressive. The new Jumbo Black Tiger Prawn Martini boasts the juiciest prawns in the ocean. With layers of spiced of hot gazpacho balanced with a cooling avocado and roast pepper guacamole mix, this retro starter with a FIRE twist is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
Serve with a touch of class in a super-sized martini glass.
Black Tiger Prawns
– 8/12 Black Tiger Prawns
– 1 Baby Gem Head
– 200g Rocket Leaves
– 100ml Olive Oil
– Half a Lemon
– 1 Garlic Clove
– 3 Large Ripe Tomatoes
– Half a Cucumber
– Half a Red Bell Pepper
– 1 Birds Eye Chili
– 1 Shallot
– 50ml Olive Oil
– 2 tsps White Wine Vinegar
– 10g Chopped Coriander
– 10g Chopped Flat Leaf Parsley
– 10g Chopped Thyme
– Salt and Pepper
– 2 Ripe Avocados
– 1 Lime
– 1 Lemon
– Half a Finely chopped Red Onion
– Half a Finely chopped chili
– 1 Deseeded and finely chopped tomato
– Salt and Pepper
1. Remove the heads and shell the prawns but leave a little shell on the tail for presentation and to make them a little easier to pick up and dip.
2. Bring a small pot of water to the boil and add the pulp from the lemon you have juiced.
3. Place to the prawns into the boiling water and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
4. Remove and place in a bowl of ice water to prevent them over cooking.
5. Drain the prawns well and drizzle with a little olive oil.
6. Set them to one side ready for serving.
1. Begin by peeling and roughly chopping all the vegetables.
2. Place all of the ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth.
3. Finish with a little salt and pepper to taste, if you think it needs a little more spice add a little more chili.
1. Begin by peeling and removing the stone from the avocados.
2. Place them in a bowl along with the juice from the lemon and lime.
3. Use a fork to crush them into a rough paste.
4. Now add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
5. Check the seasoning and cover immediately to avoid browning of the avocados.
1. Take a nice big martini glass to serve this dish in.
2. Dress the rocket and baby gem with a little olive oil and another squeeze of lemon.
3. Place the leaves at the bottom of each glass.
4. Now spoon a good layer of guacamole on top, add thin layer of leaves before spooning some gazpacho and top of this.
5. Now place 3 prawns around the rim of each glass, ready to dip.
Our recommended Wine Pairing for this Recipe
Insight Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc €18.49
Sauvignon Blanc 2014
There is a wide variety of aromas coming from this wine such as limes, capsicum, nasturtiums, wild garlic flowers, herbs, nettles, stone fruits with a delightful mineral note.
The palate is more relaxed and creamy with notes of just ripe mango, sweet lemon, leafy nettles, tropical fruits and a hint of coconut water. It most certainly is not your typical NZ sauvignon blanc, it is more refined and balanced.
This wine will pair nicely with this dish as the wine has the body to match the weight of the juicy tiger prawns as well as the acidity and flavours that will balance well with the hot gazpacho & fresh avocado.
Available from O’Brien’s Wines Nationwide or Online.
Richie has been working in the food industry for 20 years and has been an Executive Chef for the past 8 years. Prior to his appointment at Fire, he was Executive Chef of The Clyde Court and Ballsbridge Hotels, The Burlington Hotel, The Morrison Hotel and The Hilton Hotel Dublin.
He has brought with him his dedication to Irish produce and artisan producers to create his own ideas of what modern Irish food should be.