Black Cherry Tart Recipe By The Shack Restaurant
A good Black Cherry Tart invokes the taste of summer. It’s delicious and the rich taste of the cherries will satisfy any sweet tooth without ever being too sickly.
- 250g self-raising flour Salt
- 1 egg
- 100ml honey
- 100g corn-starch
For the Filling:
- 100g Irish butter, cubed 175ml milk
- 700g black cherries, (pitted) 1⁄2 lemon, juiced
Method for the Tart:
- In a mixing bowl, add the flour, pinch of salt, butter and combine until it becomes like a breadcrumb consistency.
- Add the milk little by little to form a dough
- Knead the dough for approximately 1 minute, wrap in cling film, place in fridge for 1 hour.
- On a floured surface, roll out the pastry into two sheets of 280mm and about 7mm thick.
- In a 255mm heavy plate or pie dish, cover with the pastry and let it hang over the dishabout an 25mm, with the remaining pastry cut into 1cm thick strips long enough to coverthe top, leave aside for a moment.
- Spoon the pie filling into the pastry, then take the strips and criss-cross them on top.
- Use a fork to press the strips to the pastry base, and then run a knife around the base toremove any excess pastry.
- Mix the egg and milk together, brush the top of the tart and then bake at F350° / C180° /
- Gas Mark 4 for 50 minutes.
Method for the filling:
- In a saucepan, add the cherries and bring to a medium heat, cover the pan, simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Stir often.
- In a bowl, whisk the honey, corn-starch and add the lemon juice
- Pour the mixture into the hot cherries and juice, thoroughly combine.
- Return to low heat, bring to a simmer and cook until the filling has thickened for about 2minutes.
- Remove from heat, let cool and use as the cherry pie filling.
Click Here for more information on The Shack Restaurant.