Banana and Walnut Cake Recipe with Muldoon Salted Butterscotch Sauce from Muldoon Irish Whiskey Liquer
This banana and walnut cake recipe is the ultimate winter indulgent dessert topped with oozing Muldoon salted butterscotch sauce. This sauce is lovely over some homemade ice cream and the best thing about it is this sauce will last for weeks in the fridge – if it isn’t all eaten of course.
– 2 ripe bananas
– 170g castor sugar
– 170g self-raising flour
– 170g butter
– 3 medium eggs
– 100ml Muldoon whiskey
– 80g chopped walnut pieces
– 50ml Muldoon whiskey
– 50g butter
– 50g golden syrup
– 50g brown sugar
– Squeeze of lemon juice
– 75ml cream
– 10g sea salt
1.Preheat oven to 160c.
2. In a large bowl cream the sugar and butter together, drop eggs in one at a time and mash the bananas together with 50ml of Muldoon.
3. Add to the bananas to the mix and add the sieved flour.
4. Pour into a lined loaf tin topping with the chopped walnuts and bake for approximately 1 hour.
5. Allow to cool and pour over Muldoon to keep the cake moist.
6. For the sauce, put the butter, golden syrup and brown sugar in a saucepan. Allow it to caramelize, add lemon juice and cream – please be careful as the cream will boil up straight away and the caramel might spit a little.
7.Now add Muldoon with the salt. The salt will break down in the whiskey so you will have the salt flavour with the sweetness of the Muldoon whiskey – a classic combination.
Anchor Spirits is a Waterford based drinks company which produces multi award winning Muldoon Irish Whiskey Liqueur. Launched in 2014, it’s a toffee and hazelnut flavoured whiskey which holds three awards – a Gold Medal from the 2014 Irish Whiskey Awards for best whiskey liqueur, Bronze Blas na hEireann in the Dark Spirits category in 2015 and most recently this year the internationally recognised IWSC (international wines and spirit competition) Silver Medal.
Muldoon is a very versatile liqueur which can be enjoyed on its own or used to enhance numerous dishes, as demonstrated by Chef Jenny Flynn from Faithlegg House Hotel with a collection of delicious Muldoon inspired recipes.