Bacon and Sweet Potato Soup Recipe by Marcus Wareing
This Bacon and Sweet Potato Soup with Almond Butter is the perfect dish to enjoy as the days and nights grow colder. Created by Marcus Wareing, this soup is sure to warm you up this winter.
– 4 large sweet potatoes (around 400g each), peeled and roughly chopped into 2cm chunks
– 2 onions, 1 roughly chopped and 1 finely sliced
– 2 bay leaves
– 2 celery sticks, chopped
– 2 ltrs Chicken Stock or Vegetable Stock
– 2 tbsp vegetable oil
– 200g smoked back bacon rashers, or smoked streaky bacon, diced
– 100g flaked almonds
– 3 tbsp olive oil
– 250ml milk or coconut milk
– sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
– thyme leaves, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
2. Put the sweet potato chunks, roughly chopped onion, bay leaves, celery and stock in a large saucepan. Season well with sea salt and pepper then bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce the heat, cover and leave to simmer for
20–25 minutes, or until the sweet potato is soft and falling apart.
3. Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the finely sliced onion and bacon and cook for about 15 minutes until golden, stirring frequently.
4. Put the flaked almonds in a roasting tin and bake for 8–10 minutes, until dark golden, shaking the tin halfway through. Remove from the oven, tip the almonds into a blender with the olive oil, and blitz until they reach the consistency of chunky peanut butter. Season well.
5. Remove the bay leaves from the soup, then blend the soup in batches in a blender, or use a stick blender, until it is completely smooth. Whisk in the milk then set aside.
6. Add most of the bacon and onion to the soup, reserving some to serve, and bring it back to a gentle simmer. Mix well then taste and add a little more sea salt, if needed, and a good dose of black pepper.
7. To serve, ladle the soup into bowls. Finish with a good dollop of the almond butter and garnish with thyme leaves and the reserved bacon and onion mixture.
Marcus Wareing is one of the most respected and acclaimed chefs in Britain today. Owning three restaurants, two being two Michelin-starred Marcus has a long list of awards, including Restaurateur of the Year and Young Chef of the Year. Marcus is also a judge on of MasterChef: The Professionals, where he can showcase his tips and tricks to contestants and viewers. Marcus at Home focuses on great flavours and his recipes will become favorites in you home. It contains food you can make in a rush or when you want to create a showstopping meal.