Premade pizza bases also work really well with this bacon and egg pizza recipe. You can also use pesto instead of basil oil.
– 400g strong flour
– 1 x 7g/1 sachet dried yeast
– 1 tsp salt
– 300ml warm water
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– 8 streaky rashers, rind removed and grilled
– 4 tbsp passata
– 125g mozzarella, cut into chunks
– 3 eggs
– Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Quick Basil Oil:
– A handful of basil leaves
– A little salt
– 3 tbsp olive oil
– Rocket leaves lightly seasoned and tossed in a little lemon juice and olive salad
To make the Pizza Base:
1. Mix the flour, yeast and salt together in a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the water and mix to a pliable dough, then add in the olive oil.
2. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Return to the bowl.
3. Cover with cling wrap or a damp tea towel and set aside in a warm, draught-free place to rise for approximately 2 hours or until dough has doubled in size.
To make the Pizza:
1. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6, 200°C (400°F).
2. Roll out the dough into an oblong shape – approx. 38cm x 17cm. 6. Sprinkle a little flour over a baking sheet and place the dough on it.
3. Spread the passata over the dough then add the rashers and mozzarella cheese.
4. Carefully break the eggs onto the dough. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
5. Bake for about 12 minutes or until the egg has just set and the dough is crispy around the edges.
6. While the pizza is cooking make the basil oil by simply placing the basil leaves in a mortar with a little salt and the olive oil and stir with the pestle until the leaves break down.
– Scatter the pizza with rocket and drizzle over the basil oil. Serve with a rocket salad.
As part of this ‘Eggcellent’ campaign, Bord Bia have produced a suite of new recipes that are really versatile, simple and packed with protein – perfect for your standard cook or fitness fanatic who needs protein rich food, and fast!
In order to ‘Get yourself a 6-pack’ with Bord Bia Quality Assured eggs check out some of the new egg recipes for inspiration on www.bordbia.ie/eggs.