Avoca’s Turkey & Brocolli Bake Recipe
If you’re looking for a hearty and nutritious meal to warm you up on a long winter evening, then this Turkey and Broccoli Bake recipe is just for you!
Sometimes simplicity is the key to success with classic dishes, so why not try out this comforting dish, guaranteed to satisfy even the pickiest of eaters.
This simple one pot dish is also a perfect way to make use of that leftover turkey over the Christmas period.
Turkey & Broccoli Bake
Ingredients: (Serves 4 – 6 people)
- 500g shredded Turkey Meat (left over from your Christmas Turkey)
- 1 Spanish onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- A few sprigs of parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- A few black peppercorns
- 300ml/ ½ pint double cream
- 110g/4oz roux
- 1 large head of broccoli, divided into florets
- 15g/ ½ oz butter
- 50g/2oz strong cheese, grated
- 110g/4z breadcrumbs
- Place the turkey in a large saucepan with the onions, carrots, celery, parsley, bay leaf, peppercorns, and enough water to cover. Bring slowly to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the turkey is cooked – about 20 minutes, if cooking from raw. Remove the turkey from the pan and leave to cool, then dice and set aside.
- Strain the cooking liquid into a saucepan and boil until reduced to 600ml/1 pint. Add the cream, return to the boil and then whisk in the roux a little at a time to form a thick sauce.
- Blanch the broccoli in boiling salted water until just tender, then drain and refresh under cold water.
- Stir the shredded turkey and broccoli into the sauce and season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour this mix into an ovenproof dish.
- Melt the butter and mix with the cheese and the breadcrumbs. Spread over the turkey mixture and bake in an oven preheated to 180°c/350°F/gas mark 4 for 20 minutes until brown and bubbling.