Apple & Carrot Muffins Recipe by Derval O’Rourke
This Apple & Carrot Muffins recipe make a brilliant snack with a cup of tea, they’re warm and hearty. Store these muffins in an airtight container: they’ll keep at room temperature for several days or in the fridge for about a week.
Makes 8 large muffins
– 70g wholemeal flour
– 40g plain flour
– 20g chopped walnuts
– 1 tsp ground cinnamon
– 1 tsp baking powder
– ½ tsp ground nutmeg
– ¼ tsp salt (optional)
– ¼ tsp ground cloves (optional)
– 1 eating apple (such as Pink Lady),
– peeled, cored and grated
– 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
– 4 large eggs
– 4 dates, pitted and finely chopped
– 4 tbsp natural yoghurt
– 4 tbsp coconut oil
– 1 tbsp agave syrup
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4. Line a muffin tin with 8 deep paper cases.
2. Mix the flours, walnuts, cinnamon, baking powder, nutmeg, salt and cloves in a small bowl and set aside.
3. Place the apple and carrot in a large mixing bowl and blot them with kitchen paper to remove excess moisture. Add the eggs, dates, yoghurt, coconut oil, agave syrup and vanilla extract and stir well.
4. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
5. Use a spoon to divide the batter evenly among the paper cases, so that they are almost full.
6. Bake for 25 minutes until the muffins are golden brown and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
7. Carefully remove the muffins from the tin and allow to cool on a wire rack.
Derval has held the title of World Champion in sprint hurdles and competed for Ireland in three Olympic Games. She also picked up four European Championship medals and holds the Irish record for sprint hurdles.
As both a foodie and fitness fanatic she is passionate about experimenting with healthy, nutritious recipes, which she shares through her blog (dervalorourke.blogspot.com), on Twitter (@DervalORourke) and now in this book.