Almond and Raspberry Fingers Recipe from Blazing Salads
This popular Blazing Salads Almond and Raspberry Fingers Recipe is so good with afternoon coffee or tea. Using maple syrup as the sweetner adds a lovely smoky taste.
– 180g wholemeal spelt flour (or wholemeal fine pastry flour)
– 90g sunflower margarine
– Sea salt
– 4 free range eggs
– 1 tsp natural almond essence
– 150ml maple syrup (extra for brushing the baked cake)
– 150g wholemeal spelt flour (or wholemeal fine pastry flour)
– 150g ground almonds
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 100ml rice milk, soya milk, or whole milk
– 25g flaked almonds
– 180g sugar free raspberry jam
1. Make the pastry. Place the flour in a large bowl. Stir in a pinch of salt. Rub in the margarine until the mix resembles bread crumbs.
2. Add 20mls cold water and with your finger tips bring the flour together until a ball of dough has been formed.
3. Wrap in cling film and place in the fridge to rest for 30 minutes.
4. Pre heat oven to Gas 4, 180C, 350F.
5. Oil a 30cm x 23cm baking tray. On a well-floured surface, roll out the pastry into a rectangle and line the baking tray.
6. Press the pastry into the base and sides of the tin and trim the edges.
7. Prick the base with a fork and place in the preheated oven for 20 minutes until the pastry has become crisp but not browned.
8. While the pastry is in the oven make the filling. In a large bowl whisk the eggs until light and fluffy.
9. Add the almond essence and the margarine and whisk for 1 minute.
10. Add the maple syrup and whisk for a further 2 minutes. Add the spelt flour, ground almond and baking powder. Whisk together.
11. Pour in the milk and whisk until smooth.
12. Spread the raspberry jam over the baked pastry base.
13. Pour the almond mixture over the jam and spread out evenly into all the corners.
14. Sprinkle with the flaked almonds and bake in the centre of the oven for 25 – 30 minutes until golden brown.
15. Remove and place on a cooling tray. When cool brush with maple syrup and cut into 20 pieces finger-length pieces.
Blazing Salads Food Co. on Drury Street, Dublin 2 was opened in 2000 by Lorraine and Pamela Fitzmaurice and their brother Joe to bring quality take out vegetarian/vegan wholefood to the city centre. The origins of their knowledge of wholefoods comes from an upbringing of macrobiotics.
Blazing Salads 42 Drury Street, Dublin 2, Ireland. www.blazingsalads.com