Almond Cardamom Rosewater Cake Recipe from Tastes Like Home with Catherine Fulvio
Serves 8 to 10
For the Cake
- 200g softened butter
- 160g golden caster sugar
- 4 free range eggs
- 100g plain flour
- 170g ground almonds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 medium orange, zest only
- ¾ tsp ground cardamom
- 4 tbsp pistachios, roughly chopped
- 3 to 4 drops rosewater
- 70ml milk, you may need more
- Pinch saffron
For the Syrup
- 180g caster sugar
- 1 ½ lemons, zest and juice
- ½ orange, zest and juice
- 3 drops rosewater
- Icing sugar, to dust
- 3 tbsp pistachios, to decorate
- Roses and petals, to decorate (organic)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.
- Line the base of a 20cm springform tin with parchment. Brush the sides with melted butter.
- Place the butter and sugar into the bowl of a mixer and cream until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time.
- Fold in the plain flour, ground almonds and baking powder, orange zest, cardamom and rosewater.
- Mix the saffron into the milk and pour into the cake batter.
- Spoon into the prepared springform tin.
- Bake for 35 minutes until golden and cooked. Insert a skewer, when ready, it should come out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack.
- To make the topping, mix all ingredients together. While the cake is hot, make holes in the cake with a skewer or carving fork, then evenly pour over the syrup. When cool, run a thin palette knife around the tin and remove from the tin.
- When ready to decorate, place on a cake stand, dust the top of the cake with icing sugar, place the pistachio nuts around the rim of the top. Arrange roses and petals on top and serve.