Watch: Chicken Liver Pâté with Caramelised Onions Recipe by Clodagh McKenna
This Chicken Liver Pâté recipe is created by Chef Clodagh McKenna in association with The National Dairy Council. Served with caramelised onions that are browned in Irish creamery butter it’s a great example of how Irish dairy can be incorporated into almost every part of your Christmas feast.
– 450g butter (softened)
– 675g chicken livers, cleaned
– 2 tbsp brandy
– 2 garlic cloves
– 2 tsp thyme
For the caramelised onions:
– 20g butter
– 2 onions, sliced
– 1 tbsp brown mustard seeds
1. Melt a knob of the butter in a frying pan and add the chicken livers. Cook over a medium heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. When the chicken livers are cooked, there should be no trace of redness in the meat. Transfer them to a food processor.
2. Add the brandy, garlic and thyme to the frying pan and deglaze by scraping up all the tiny pieces of meat and juices from the livers using a whisk – the bottom of the pan is where the real flavour is! Add the brandy mixture to the food processor and blend with the livers. Leave to cool.
3. While the livers are cooling, make the caramelised onions. Melt the butter in a saucepan and stir in the onions. Reduce the heat, cover the pan and leave to sweat for about 5 minutes. Then remove the lid, turn up the heat and stir in the mustard seeds. Continue cooking until the onions have softened and become rich and brown in colour. Leave to cool.
4. Slowly add the remaining butter to the cooled chicken liver mixture and mix until all the butter has blended. Fold in the caramelised onions. Transfer the chicken liver and onion mixture to a large dish and leave to set in the fridge for at least 3 hours. This pâté is delicious served with hot crunchy white bread.
The National Dairy Council is delighted to announce that it is launching a special Christmas campaign with Irish Chef Clodagh Mckenna. Clodagh has created eight delicious festive recipes using the best of Irish produce, a range of indulgent treats to cook for friends and family this Christmas.
This Christmas enjoy the flavour and diversity of cooking with Irish dairy produce, whether it’s a farmhouse cheese soufflé or simply fresh cream on your Christmas pudding, you have it made with dairy!
To view all the recipes visit: www.ndc.ie/clodaghschristmasrecipes/